Hello and welcome to Reception's class page!
Mrs Nicholson & Miss Renzulli
'Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.'
Reception children are beginning to settle well into their day to day routines. They have been busy exploring their new environment and have enjoyed playing in the home corner, the water and sand areas, our reading corner and creative area. They have also had much opportunity to explore the outdoor area. We sing and read stories every day and during snack time the children enjoy chatting about the lovely things they do with their families.
Our topic this first half term is 'All About Me'. The children will be studying the 7 areas of the foundation stage to cover the Early Learning Goals.
1. In Personal, Social and Emotional development we will help the children to adapt and settle in to their new day to day routines.
2. In Communication and Language we will encourage the children to develop the confidence to speak and listen in small groups. Please remember to return your child's talk book each Monday morning.
3. In Literacy the children will have weekly shared reading sessions where they will begin to develop early reading skills. e.g. talking about the pictures and main characters, making simple predictions. In phonics, they will learn how to read phase 2 'letters and sounds' and how they can be blended and segmented to read and spell simple words. The children will have lots of opportunities to practise writing the letters of the alphabet. The children will try out their writing skills on whiteboards, in their books and in their play. The children will also learn how to write and spell their name correctly.
4. In Mathematics the children have already learnt many songs relating to numbers and counting. They will learn how to count forwards and backwards and will begin to learn how to write and form their numbers correctly. The children will explore 2D shapes and pattern.
5. In Understanding of the world the children will be encouraged to talk about themselves and their families. They will learn that everybody is 'unique' and special. The children will talk about change and how they have changed since being a baby. In technology, they will use '2simple' programme to develop their learning and computer skills. During the second part of the term we will learn about bears and toys.
6. In Expressive arts and design the children will develop the confidence to explore colour. They will learn how to mix colours together to create a new colour and how colours can be used to create a desired effect. The children will independently select their own resources. They will have the opportunity to mix different materials to create texture and to add interest to their work.
In music, the children will be introduced to percussion instruments and will build a repertoire of simple songs.
7. In Physical the children will take part in a weekly PE session. This will take place on a Friday morning with our PE teacher, Mr Cowling. They will cooperate in and play a variety of games to help develop their coordination, agility and awareness of space.
In class, the children will be encouraged and supported to correctly use a pencil and a pair of scissors. Any extra practise at home would be beneficial!
In RE lessons the children will begin to understand how precious we are to God and that God knows and loves each and everyone of us and that he knows us by name.
If at any time you would like to speak to an adult then please feel free to come in at the beginning or end of the day.
Keep checking back on our class page for photographs and pictures of the wonderful things we do in Reception!
Mrs M Nicholson